Sunday, July 21, 2013

Composting

Do you compost at home? I've been interested in composting for a while now, and I finally decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. Each week, we recycle a lot, and we've found that most of our non-recyclable waste would actually be compostable. So, I ordered this compost tumbler on Amazon, and Charlie put it together last week. I chose that one because I wanted something that sat completely closed off above the ground and that I could easily agitate. So far, so good, though assembly was a beast.


Once it was all put together, we threw in bags of dry clippings that we've been stowing away from around the yard - branches, spent flowers, dead plants. We now continue to add food waste - banana peels, eggshells, etc. - to the pile. It still actually smells pretty good, probably due to the dried lavender :) When I get a good little layer of "wet" materials going, I'll add my compost starter to help everything cook up quickly.


Any good composting advice for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment